When I told my friends that we had to write about fairytales for my English 401 class, most of them were jealous and talked about how they loved reading fairytales when they were little. Some of them started talking about Little Red Riding Hood and Three Little Pigs, however most stories that came up were ones that had been made in to Disney animated videos.
It made me wonder if some of the Disney classics like Pocahontas and Lady and the Tramp were considered fairytales. That got me to think, what are the elements of a fairytale? Is it the romance and morals that are meant to be learned by the end? Some stories, like Where the Wild Things Are have no romance but are meant to teach lessons and take our imagination else where.
I remember this conversation coming up some what in class but I still question what elements authors of fairytales knew they had to include in order to write their story. When I asked one friend who is not in our English class, what makes a story a fairytale? She answered "well it has to be fake, that's for sure." I think she might be right, but in my opinion, fairytales need a plot, magic, love, morals, and unrealistic characters.
When I think of fairy tales the first things that come to mind are: a princess, a kingdom, a villain, magic, and a happily ever after. I think you are absolutely right about what makes up a fairy tale though. I believe that all Disney movies arent fairy tales. There is no way Where the Wild Things Are or Cars could ever be considered a fairy tale!
ReplyDeleteMost Disney movies have a lesson behind them I deffinately think that one of the reasons they made some of the fairytales into movies. Also talking animals dont make a fairtaly the makes a fiction story. I looked at the definition of fairytale it is :
ReplyDelete1.a story about fairies or other mythical or magical beings, esp one of traditional origin told to children
2.a story, usually for children, about elves, hobgoblins, dragons, fairies, or other magical creatures.
So basically I think magic makes the fairytale... a werewolf, a poison apple, a sleeping spell, a spell to turn you into a frog or a beast.